Thursday, November 14, 2013

Page 8


I almost said I was glad she survived. It as a reflex thing, something the common man says to another. But then I realized that I would not have spent the last 6 years of torment if it was not for her. I did not blame her for it, yet, but I was not glad about it either. I would have to reconcile  my feelings on this later. I just kept rubbing the staff, she liked it and it cost me nothing.

As if in response to this thought a wave of remorse flowed through me. It came with a sense of otherness, like the exuberance I felt earlier. I grew suspicious.

Reacting to my suspicions, proving them true, Mana´s expression grew guilty.

“You are right Ma- Richard. Our minds were linked when you claimed me. Since it is a difficult transition I have been shielding you from my mind as much as I can. As you can feel, strong emotions leak through.” The sadness and remorse did not go away, but fear began to creep in.

“Please don’t hate me Master, I promise never to betray you. I only did not mention it yet because you were already busy coming to grip with other things!” She cried out. I sighed, this girl really was desperate for companionship if she worried over what was not her fault.

She blushed at this.

“Honestly I do not mind. It was considerate of you to shield me though, it would have been too much. How were you calling me before? I mean before I claimed you.

“It was a psychic call. Any well trained magician can manage it. It is odd that a necromancer of your capability does not know the spell. In fact you do not seem like a necromancer at all, yet you are one.” She replied, puzzlement clear on her face. I mirrored it.

“Again you call me a necromancer.” I paused, thinking things through. “Necromancy has been banned in civilized lands for a very long time. As a child I displayed magical ability, but the magicians guild found no aptitude in the accepted circles of magic. Perhaps anyone who shows magical ability, yet the guild can not teach, are in fact necromancers. Or warlocks, for that circle is also banned.” Mana seemed to contemplate this for a moment then nodded in agreement.

By this part of the conversation I had reached the exit of the temple. After a split decision I decided to keep on walking. It was an odd leap, as if I was nudged into it. Probably Mana doing her version of giving advice without interrupting the conversation. Shrugging I kept on walking.

So far she was very helpful, in a subtle way as well as the obvious. My legs were extremely shaky, even though I felt no discomfort, and whenever I slipped the staff somehow positioned itself so that it supported me. Couple that with shielding my mind of alien thoughts until I was ready, and soothing my pain, and her help was simply divine. 

I chuckled at that pun and Mana giggled.

No comments:

Post a Comment