Thursday, November 14, 2013

Page 6


To say I looked worn from my travels was an understatement. My traveling cloak and the other clothes that came with it had worn away, leaving most of my skin exposed to the elements. Every single exposed piece of flesh, including that on my face, was black of frost bite.

I was as emaciated as the phantasm of Mana Genita was. Oddly I had long silver hair just like she did, which went well with my light blue eyes.

I stumbled in surprise, and was startled when the staff moved on it´s own to a position that could support me. It was not much of a move, only a few inches, but it was autonomous movement nonetheless. I looked over to Mana´s image and raised an eyebrow.

Eyes cast down submissively, she stammered. “Sorry Master, I know I am not supposed to do that. I do not mean to doubt you but you look so… fatigued. I swear I am just trying to aid you.” Worry crossed her face, like a child expecting to be punished.

I caressed the staff again, laughing weekly. “Oh I am not angry Mana. Just surprised. Honestly I am amazed I actually made it here. I grew up in a city, so I did not know how to hunt when I set off on my journey. Obviously my body is barely holding together. I am assuming that I am moving now only thanks to your power. It would explain the odd flexibility of my frozen fingers. How independent are you?” I asked the divine being I now clutched in my grasp.

Blushing again, Mana answered demurely. “As long as I act to serve my Master I can do whatever I wish. If it is in your best interests. Much of my binding relies on my own judgement to ensure I never rebel. If I think what I am about to do is a rebellion, I am prevented from doing it.” She explained softly.  

Her answer made me think. Part of me believed this was a load of bullshit. When I was a child I had been told stories of the great and mysterious powers of my world. Many that dealt with artifacts and the perpetual power struggle over them. Most powerful artifacts, ones of the scale of Mana Genita here, had sentience and their own agenda.

If she was lying to me, this was an odd way to go about it. Most malicious artifacts would hide that they had any free will at all. She said she retained it but was bound by a warped morality to serve her weilder. If it is true, it was an ingenious way for her first master to bind her into service. Even if you are as intelligent as a goddess, you can not trick yourself into freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment