Thursday, November 14, 2013

Prologue



Shaking with exhaustion and anticipation, I approached the frozen temple ahead of me. My feet slipped on the ice, and the freezing cold assaulted my already frostbitten body. The call that brought me to this frozen hell had risen to a deafening volume, drowning out all but one thought. Come!

My withered form continued through the corridor of ice. I vaguely registered the glittering frozen walls around me but since all I had to do was walk straight forward I did not turn to look at them. Amazingly I did not fall, although I almost did several time. Slowly I made my way to the center chamber of the temple.

An obstacle rose in my path, closed doors. I noticed this passively, but never slowed and just walked through them. They slid open easily, so while I stumbled afterwards I was not injured (that I could feel, I am pretty numb by now). 

I did not pause after passing the doors and just continued onward until I reached a dais in the center. My body tried to step up upon it, but my foot caught and I went down, sprawled upon the ice. I was not getting up under my own power.

The pain of falling jarred me free of the calls hypnotic song, which was a mixed blessing. My body was my own again, which was a plus, but when I was walking mindlessly I did not feel the horrific pain that wracked my body. Not knowing what else to do, I just laid there, my faced squashed against the smooth floor, with my eyes closed.

Come to me! The voice called, the song raising in volume again. I responded with a dignified moan.
You are almost there. Come to me and I will soothe you. Come to me! The strange voice had a tint of desperation to it.

Moaning, I tried to get on my hands and knees to crawl forward. Slipping often, I eventually managed it, and raised my head to see what I was trying to reach.

There was a beautiful staff on a low pedestal in the middle of the dais. It looked to be made of carved bone. Grooves decorated the length of the staff, twisting into glowing green runes. 

Yes! Come to me. You are so close! The voice called again. I started crawling. Closer and closer. As I neared I felt a warmth spreading through me, and a strength. Before long I was at the staff and leaning back on my haunches to grab the staff.

Yes! Finally! Claim me Master! The voice cried out exulting. Anxiety suddenly filled me but I did not hesitate. Moving as quickly as I could (a snails pace) I reached out and took the now blindingly bright staff. 

As soon as I touched the staff an alien exuberance filled me. It was not my happiness, I could tell, but I felt it as strongly as if it was my own. With it came a warmth, and like the voice said my pains were soothed.

Then I blacked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment